Hello! So the last time we spoke I was kind of like this...
I was feeling excited, terrified, confident, unsure, and every other contradictory emotion you can think of.
On Saturday I ran THE race...the race that left me feeling disappointed one year ago...the race that I have spent the last 12 weeks working harder than I have ever worked before...and the race that I had set a HUGE goal for.
Over the last year I have run 7 half-marathons. Each one very different...some faster than others...some much slower than others...but this race...my first half-marathon has always been the most important to me. Last year I didn't run as well as I expected...and I was left feeling kind of unfulfilled. And ever since crossing that finish line last year I knew that 2015's Rock the Parkway half would be my redemption race.
So this year when I signed up to run it again, I decided that not only was I going to redeem myself (and the race) but I wanted to set a pretty big goal. I wanted to run 9 minutes faster than I had the year before. I am not sure what significance 1:45 has...except that it is a nice round number (and a big PR)
So for the last 12 weeks I have been focusing on and working toward one thing...a 1:45 half-marathon...The first 11 weeks I felt SO confident. I busted my butt 6 days a week and worked harder than I ever have in my life. I felt good...correction, I felt great....However, in the week leading up to the race, thanks in part to the taper, I had begun to doubt myself. I questioned whether or not I could run 13.1 miles at an 8:01 mile pace...I kept wondering if I could have done more, did I over-train, under-train...what if I didn't reach my goal, what if the race sucked as much as it did last year...then what?
Turns out...I didn't have to worry about the "then what?"
Turns out...I didn't have to worry about the "then what?"
I've been trying for 3 days to come up with the perfect words to describe this race, and I just can't. So all I am going to say is that I am beyond ecstatic and have taken up permanent residency on Cloud 9 ;)
I "rocked" that parkway and was left feeling satisfied. All of those negative feelings from the year before were forgotten!
While meeting/beating my goal time was amazing...the very best part was that I felt great during the race. Going into it I feared that the last few miles would be painful (like they were last year) but honestly, all 13.1 miles felt pretty awesome :)

I am most proud of my mile 9-13 splits. Last year the second half of the race was brutal. I had to stop and walk a few times...my average pace for mile 10 and 11 were 10-11 minute miles. This year I managed to run mile 13 at a 7:04 pace!!!! I couldn't believe it...I do owe some of that to the wonderful downhill finish...but it was also reassurance that my hard work had paid off.
On Sunday while looking at Timehop I came across the picture on the left. Do you see the difference in those 2 runners? I sure do...the runner on the left was defeated and feeling down...and the runner on the right...well, she was feeling confident and happy. It's amazing how much can change in a year :)



YOU ARE AMAZING! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!
ReplyDeleteWOWZA!!! That's incredible!!! Kudos to you for putting the time and effort into your training, and what a payoff!!!! I'll never run that pace IN MY LIFE, so hats off to you!! :)
ReplyDelete