I can't believe it's already been a month...it has gone surprisingly fast...as has this pregnancy! How do we have just over 6 weeks until he is here?!? I was sure this diagnoses would make this last trimester drag on, but it has still just been cruising along...Talk to me again in a month when I am 38 weeks pregnant and ready to evict him and I may be singing a different tune, but right now it seems as if time is on hyper-speed!
Diet
Diet
Things seem to be getting a little easier on this front...I have established some go-to meals and found ways to get as creative as possible. Breakfast has been my biggest struggle...finding the perfect balance of protein and carbs is tricky...Eggs are a great source of protein...but I do have to say I am SERIOUSLY tired of them. We have gone through a record number of eggs in the last month...
I'm trying my best to eat them in different ways...fried, scrambled, hard-boiled...anything to break up the monotony, especially considering I am not the biggest fan of eggs in the first place.
Luckily, my Goose came to my rescue with the most delicious no-carb pancake recipe!
I ended up adding a scoop of chocolate protein powder (and skipped the sweetener) and I have to say they were a delicious treat! Notice we still added eggs on the side...this is just my life for the next 6 weeks I suppose ;)
I have found a few creative ways to get in protein at breakfast and avoid eggs all together...
Protein shakes and turkey sausage links have been my best friends :) I have also been adding in a half of a banana whenever I have the extra carbs because I have been having some leg cramps at night (OUCH!) and bananas always seem to do the trick! However, since they are so high on the glycemic index I only eat half at a time to avoid spikes in my blood sugar.
Lunch is really easy because it's usually just leftovers from dinner the night before...or Tuna fish sandwiches. I have been getting the packets of tuna and mixing it with mayo and sweet relish (and sometimes even reluctantly adding a hard-boiled egg)
Dinner is hands-down my favorite...we have found some amazing new recipes and it's gotten easier and easier to find these low-carb recipes each week especially the more I learn about this diet and how my body responds to different foods. I usually find them on Pinterest...and then my sweet husband cooks them #WeMakeAGoodTeam
| Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Zoodles |
This is hands down my very favorite meal we have tried thus far! I love, love, love Italian food...and this allows me to still indulge in my favorite comfort food while avoiding all the extra carbs.
| Fajita Roll Ups |
Fajita roll ups are another favorite of mine because I can eat them with a small serving of rice, guacamole, and Greek yogurt (we sub this for sour cream) and then still enjoy a side of ice cream without my numbers going crazy. #AllTheProtein
We have several other favorites, but I don't have photos of those...maybe I will share some of those meals next week ;)
Testing
I'm getting REAL tired of testing my blood sugar 4x a day...I'm hoping at my next doctor's appointment she will give me the okay to test less. I have breakfast figured out...so I could likely skip that one altogether, but we will see.
My fasting numbers have stayed consistently below what they are looking for (90) which is such a relief. From what I have read this is usually the number people struggle with, which in turn requires them to be put on insulin. As long as I can control all my numbers with diet and don't need insulin I am not considered high risk. #SoFarSoGood
In the last 4 weeks that I have been testing my numbers have been consistently good (on the lower end even) and staying mostly around 100 or below (they want me <120) except two times...
The first time was my 2nd day on the diet and while I panicked I knew it would take some getting used to...the second time however was this past weekend and it really freaked me out.
I had started feeling really confident about my ability to eye-ball foods and not measure everysinglething...and then BAM...reality slapped me in the face, and the worst part is, I am still not sure what happened.
My grandparents were in town from Ohio so my mom grilled out...brats and hamburgers. I went with a brat because the buns were smaller (had less carbs) and the brat had more protein. I paired it with a big salad and lots of veggies and a 1/3 cup of my mom's famous beans (which I could eat by the pound!) and 2 hours after dinner I tested my numbers and it was a 133!! I couldn't believe it and thought it HAD to be a mistake so I tested again...and got the same thing. What the heck?
I was really upset...and not because it was high...because one high reading won't hurt me or baby...but because I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. I am still struggling to figure it out...The only things I can think are 1) Not enough protein in the brat 2) The Fresca I had (which only has 1 carb) had grapefruit juice in it (although it lists NO SUGAR)
3) My mom's beans have 4 million carbs or 5) It was a bad reading/monitor issue.
Regardless...I tested an hour later (for my own sanity) and it was already down to 86 (which is lower than my ideal fasting number) so I know it wasn't elevated for too long.
I was also disappointed because I have to report my numbers today...and I was really hoping to get the okay to test less...this might put a kink in that :(
Other than that...testing is still fine...it's not all that painful (most of the time) but I sure will be glad when I can stop pricking my finger 4x a day.
Excercise
I'm feeling really fortunate that my body is still handling my running and working out like a champ. It definitely helps my numbers to stay low...and to keep my sanity in tact ;)
I've been trying to run 3-4 days per week and go to Jazzercise at least 2 days a week and I am hoping I can continue this as long as possible...which ideally would be the day of/before delivery, but I am not delusional. After our first child-birth class and our teacher talking about the baby dropping...I have a feeling once he does that running may be completely off the table.
Emotionally
Minus feeling really down about my numbers Saturday, things have been going really well. I have adjusted well to the new diet and don't even really feel that deprived. I also did well at my baby shower on Sunday...there was lots of yummy food, cookies, and my favorite bundt cakes (mean right?) and I didn't feel like I had to struggle to stay away from it. It definitely helped that I was able to save a bundt cake for my dinner later that night...I just paired it with a heavy protein dinner and my numbers were great!
I only have about 6 weeks left...and while I am anxious for little man to be here, and to not have to be as strict with my diet, I plan to try and keep eating as healthy as possible even after he is born. Not only do I want to make sure the baby is getting the best nutrients possible while I am breast feeding, but I also wouldn't mind losing the baby weight a little quicker ;) #SilverLining
0 comments:
Post a Comment